South Korea, US fire missiles into sea in protest of North Korea’s ‘reckless’ test

SEOUL (Reuters) – South Korea and the U.S. military conducted missile exercises in response to North Korea’s launch of a ballistic missile over Japan, as the United Nations Security Council prepares to meet on what was Pyongyang’s longest-range test.

Nuclear-armed North Korea tested a medium-range ballistic missile (IRBM) farther than ever on Tuesday, prompting it to fly over Japan for the first time in five years and prompting residents there to warn residents to take cover.

South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said on Wednesday that South Korean and US forces launched a barrage of missiles into the sea in response, and the allies earlier conducted exercises to bomb fighter jets in the Yellow Sea. Read more

Register now to get free unlimited access to Reuters.com

The military separately confirmed that the South Korean Hyunmoo-2 missile failed shortly after launch and crashed during exercises, but no one was hurt.

Footage posted by a nearby citizen on social media and verified by Reuters showed smoke and flames rising from the military base.

The South Korean military said the fire was caused by the combustion of rocket propellant, and although the missile carried a warhead, it did not explode. Read more

She apologized for causing concern to the residents.

The White House National Security Council called North Korea’s latest test “dangerous and reckless” and the US military and its allies have stepped up a show of force. Read more

The US aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan, which made its first stop in South Korea last month for the first time in years, will return to the sea between Korea and Japan in what the South Korean military described as a “very unusual” move designed to demonstrate the allies’ resolve to respond to any Threats from North Korea.

US President Joe Biden and Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida condemned North Korea’s test “in the strongest terms”, the European Union called it a “reckless and deliberately provocative act”, and UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemned the launch and said it was a violation of Security Council resolutions.

The UN Security Council is scheduled to meet on Wednesday to discuss North Korea at the request of the United States, although China and Russia have told their council counterparts that they oppose a 15-member open meeting. Diplomats said they said the council’s reaction should help ease the situation on the Korean peninsula. Read more

It was the first North Korean missile to follow a trajectory over Japan since 2017, and its estimated 4,600 km (2,850 miles) flight was the longest in a North Korean test, which is usually “lifted” into space to avoid flying over neighboring countries.

Analysts and security officials said it may have been a variant of the Hwasong-12 IRBM, which North Korea revealed in 2017 as part of what it said was a plan to strike US military bases in Guam.

Neither the North Korean government nor its official media reported the launch or disclosed the type of missile used.

The trip has heightened fears that North Korea may soon conduct an expected nuclear test, its first since 2017.

South Korean Defense Minister Lee Jong Sop told parliament that North Korea has completed preparations for the test, and may use a smaller weapon intended for operational use, or a large device with higher throughput than previous tests.

South Korean President Yoon Seok-yeol called the test “reckless” and said it would bring a decisive response from his country, its allies and the international community.

An EU spokesman said the launch was a “reckless and deliberately provocative act” that violated UN Security Council resolutions. Read more

Register now to get free unlimited access to Reuters.com

(Covering) Guri Roh Editing by Chris Reese, Sandra Mahler and Jerry Doyle

Our criteria: Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Leave a Comment